MALACCA: Founded in 1826, Malacca High School (MHS) the second oldest educational institution in the country following the 1816-established Penang Free School, will be marking its historic milestone with a series of sports and games competitions, social events and down memory lane school tours on September 24 and 25.
Close to one thousand five hundred old boys and girls, teachers, staff and loyal supporters from all over Malaysia, Singapore, England, New Zealand and Australia are expected to attend and participate in events while joining hands with the school current enrolment and staff to renew and bond old and new friendships.
Two prominent MHS old boys Datuk Hj Abdul Halim Ali and Dr. Ee Tiang Lock are jointly heading an energetic celebration organising team to finalise plans and proceedings. Supporting the pair are a dedicated group of former teachers (retired) and supporters providing valuable logistic work including producing an anniversary souvenir publication. Iconic: The Malacca High School is full of history
Organising team spokesperson Dr. Ee disclosed that the celebration would kick off with a two-day games carnival beginning on Sept 24. A six-a-side cricket competition and hockey sixes are among the various sports activties which would held at the school field in the morning and afternoon.
A netball tournament would also be held at the school field in the evening of the same day, he added.
The following day will see a round of competitive golf at the Ayer Keroh Golf and Country Club while a seven-a-side football tourney will be held at the school field in the morning with combined teams made up of past and present students participating, he said.
On Sept 25, the Down Memory Lane Tour of the School would be held complete with a Nostalgic Tuckshop Fare buffet winding up the proceedings. The highlight of the day will be a grand reunion 8-course sit-down dinner at the Equatorial Hotel where former students and their spouses will be the principal guests commencing at 6pm with a fellowship.
Meanwhile, MHS, first established on Dec 7, 1826, occupied the local Anglican Church parsonage with a modest less than two-hundred student enrolment. The school early history records its shifting of premises twice due to increased intake of students.
In 1884, the school moved to a new building at the site of the state former High Court premises close to the Dutch Stadthuys. At this time, there was also an intention of building a new school in Kubu, on the north side of town. However, this plan was aborted when the late Tuan Haji Bachee Ahmad a prominent local resident came forward to offer to sell a plot of land in Banda Kaba to the then school authorities.
In 1928, the new school premises along Jalan Chan Koon Cheng adjacent to Kampong Banda Baba took shape in the form of a two-storey block. Subsequently, further constructions, additions and renovations were made to the original building in stages complete with varied in-house facilities, sections and a large playing field to presently accommodate a two-thousand student enrolment occupying classes ranging from Forms 1 to 6.
For details, call 06-2820161, 06-2868146, 017-6778999 (Dr Ee Tiang Lock) or 016-284 4684 (Aljan Singh).